Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nigerian Army Uses Trump’s Words to Justify Fatal Shooting of Rock-Throwing Protester
(11-02-2018, 11:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: As for Dill's #2 point, that might work in America with police, but I don't think Nigeria's military is equipped for such things.

Most photos I can find of them they don't even have any sort of individual body armor. They aren't a NATO country, so they are using probably Soviet and Russian AKs, with Russian ammunition. Not sure Russia's pumping out too many less-than-lethal rounds, or have them in their surplus when you look at the Russian tactic of dealing with hostage takers.

I bet you if you went around polling folk in Nigeria, they wouldn't know about rubber bullets. It's not like in the US where we all know if we riot, throw shit at police, burn cars, and loot stores, it's just going to be a couple tear gas grenades and some occasional bean bag or rubber rounds.

Honestly, we seem to be a minority these days with no military on the streets. It's actually quite funny how people complain about how militarized the police in the US are (they admittedly are a bit), while ignoring that a huge portion of the world is policed by military, and Europe has full on assault rifle and sub machine gun carrying tactical guys patrolling their streets.

We're a bit spoiled here, but in a good way. It's why this country is pretty great, all things considered.

I think it is great too. But one reason why is that our military generally does not shoot running protestors in the back.

[Image: merlin_146139759_7a84b744-c926-49b4-9667...le=upscale]
And I know for a fact that Nigerian police have been using rubber bullets since 2012. They even use them on their own politicians.
http://saharareporters.com/2014/01/12/police-fire-rubber-bullets-and-teargas-senator-magnus-abe-port-harcourt

Nigeria has pretty much bought weapons where it could, so some units are still armed with soviet era AKs and others have US M 16s and Swiss Sigs. They also have MRAPS and other vehicles from us which would be very effective for crowd control--if they chose to use them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nigerian Army Uses Trump’s Words to Justify Fatal Shooting of Rock-Throwing Protester - Dill - 11-03-2018, 12:05 AM