Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Televangelists - Religion gone bad?
(11-06-2018, 01:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How Christian of you to not believe them and the message they were trying to convey. Billboards are more about the visual image than the words, we can just agree to disagree on that. Words are important on traffic signs. There is nothing in that image that leads me to believe they are trying to equate Trump to Christ.

Could they have chosen a better verse? Perhaps, but one always could. 

Scene: Group of people sitting around a dining room table.  Mostly older, white americans

1st man: "Ok folks...it's just a short time until the midterm elections and I know we're all really afraid that those Christian hating liberals are going to win a few seats so we HAVE to come up with a plan to get our message out!"

2nd man: "So we came up with the idea of getting a billboard."

(General murmuring that this is a good idea.)

1st man: "What we are picturing is a huge picture of President Trump, mouth wide open, arms up.  Gives him that "preaching to the congregation" look."

Woman: "Very presidential looking too."

(general murmuring in agreement)

1st man: "And we are going with the message 'Make the GOSPEL great again!"

(excitement builds from the others around the table)

2nd man: "Honestly we haven't had a President who has spoken the Word more clearly since Reagan and we need to show they godless commies that Mr. Trump has been sent here to save us all from them!

(pounding of table and agreement rises from the others)

Woman: "I was thinking though...perhaps we could add a quote from scripture.  Really drive the point home with the words of our God as if they are coming from the President himself?"

2nd man: "Excellent!  Really will add to the image of Trump preaching to the masses!"

1st man: "But what we need is a quote that is specific to our message that Donald Trump was elected due to divine providence in order to help us spread the word of Jesus Christ."

(more murmuring and the occasional suggestion of a  verse as they group talks among itself)

1st man: "I've got it!  John 1:6-15!  Roger, read that to us."

(Older man stands and reads the verses aloud to the group)

Roger: "6 There was a man sent from God whose name was John. 7 He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe. 8 He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light.

9 The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world.10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

15 (John testified concerning him. He cried out, saying, “This is the one I spoke about when I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’”)"

Woman: "It's perfect!  It speaks of John coming to announce the coming of Jesus!  But is it too, I don't know, long for a billboard?"

1st man: "You're right.  We need to limit it to one verse that really drives home that President Trump is where he is not just thanks to God but also to spread the word of God!"

Woman: "So we use John 1:7-8..."

2nd man (interrupting her) "No, I was leaning more toward 1: 14."

Woman: "But that is not about John at all it's about Jesus coming to...."

1st man: "Yes!  It will be just like Trump is speaking those words!"

Woman: "But might that make look like we're saying President Trump is the 'word made flesh' instead?"

1st man: "Why would anyone think that?"

Woman: "Because that's the quote under a picture of the President."

2nd man: "It's pretty obvious we are saying Trump is like John by having his mouth open like HE is speaking the words...I don't see how that could be misinterpreted at all."

Woman: "But if we just use the verse explaining what John did...."

1st man: "So it's agreed then."

Woman: "Well no...."

2nd man: "This will be a CLEAR message that President Trump is a messenger for Jesus.  No other way to interpret that verse under his picture in my eyes"

(General murmuring)

The end.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - GMDino - 11-06-2018, 01:53 PM