Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Presidential candidate that might get votes from both parties
(11-08-2018, 01:18 PM)treee Wrote: A candidate that gets votes from both parties:

- Acknowledges we need to reduce spending or increase taxes (or both). We need to get the annual deficit under control.

- Acknowledges that social welfare programs are a net benefit for society.

- Acknowledges that we need to find innovative ways to keep firearms from people who are a public danger (while minimizing any intrusive effects on everyday gun purchasers).

- Recognizes that developed nations badly need immigrants, and therefor increase the in-flow of legal immigration (this could be simultaneous with increasing border security).

- Acknowledges there are situations where abortions are appropriate, and also advocates for more sex education spending as well as contraceptive availability to reduce unplanned pregnancies in the first place.

- Recognizes that a decent number of illegal drugs are not very dangerous, and prohibition does nothing but prop up a secondary market inhabited by criminals.

Those are some moderate positions that I could think of off the top of my head.

I would only add infrastructure to that list.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Presidential candidate that might get votes from both parties - Belsnickel - 11-08-2018, 02:04 PM