Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Never under estimate a backup qb no matter what round or years in the league
First, everyone needs to pick a narrative and stay with it. Either the loss was on Andy yesterday because Andy or missing our top offensive weapon hurt and the other receivers didn't step up in his place. I know, I know, it obviously can't be the second one because that would take some heat off of Andy.

Next, as someone who has been labeled as "Andy's Army", a "Dalton lover", a "Dalton apologist", and whatever other stupid names get made up, I have no problem moving on from Dalton. I just want it to be an upgrade or at least have the appearance of upgrade. Not just get rid of Dalton for the sake of getting rid of him. Driskel has played well in the preseason against 3rd stringers and has played well in garbage time when the outcome of the game was already decided. That's just not enough for me to proclaim Driskel should be the starter. Though Bengals fan hate their QB, he's actually played well over the course of his career. He's a better than average QB. So yeah, before we toss him in the trash pile, I'd like to think it's for someone who would be an upgrade and not just because the next QB isn't Andy Dalton.

Somehow this team has had success with Andy. Though we have many fans that seem to think he's a scrub, these last 8 years have produced the most success in franchise history. No, they haven't won a playoff game but this team has won. Fans don't just wallow in pity because they're Bengals fans now, they wallow in pity because they don't win playoff games. This is a franchise where the potential to make the playoffs was exciting. Now, it's expected. Winning has certainly became a lot more common these last 8 years. Andy Dalton is a contributor to that success. A pretty big one too.

Finally, a lot of fans just never like Andy. He wasn't who they wanted the team to draft. He gets more hate than John Ross but Andy has actually performed and produced. From Gradkowski to Johnson to McCarron to Driskel, whoever holds the clipboard is the best QB on the team according to half the fan base or more. Someone will oversimplify this, but every damn season fans want the backup to start over Dalton. It's ridiculous. Yes, QBs get the heat, but Bengals fans take it to a whole new level; dumping trash on their yard, booing them at celebrity events, hanging banners at training camp. Other fan bases don't do that shit. I may be wrong about Driskel, but no Dalton back up QB has went on to produce better than Dalton.

So if you stuck around reading this long, moving on from Andy is fine. I would say we would want to draft his replacement high. Maybe even let Andy groom him for a season and then make the switch. If we should ever get a new head coach, he should be able to pick his QB. Constantly pretending that we have a worldbeater holding the clipboard is preposterous though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Never under estimate a backup qb no matter what round or years in the league - muskiesfan - 11-12-2018, 11:03 AM