Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Draft: Linebackers, Offensive OT/Guard & DB
(11-15-2018, 07:23 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I would sign Eifert to a one year contract so that all of his rehab pays off for his desire to give the fans at least one good year of healthy football.
I would sign Dennard, Hopkins, Uzi.  That's it.  

They need to draft:
OT
RG
2 Linebackers
1-2 safeties
TE
DT

I am starting to think TE may come early in the draft, which could have been avoided if the team grabbed OJ Howard instead of Ross.  Franks looked good with limited snaps and i think they may keep Carter at FB/TE.  

One thing that is for certain, they're not going to find plug and play guys at all of those spots, in one draft class.  It's going to take resigning a few guys that we would rather do without, along with some smart deals made via free agency.

Now, you must consider the cost of filling that spot with a competent veteran, versus going way up in the draft for the same position.  To my way of thinking, good TEs and OTs are hard to attain for a reasonable price in free agency, so I would put those at the top of my draft needs list.

A starting guard can be found in the top 4 rounds, even by drafting a Tackle and placing him at Guard.  Linebacker is where it gets tricky, from what I've noticed in recent years, typically only the top two or three LBs in a draft class make a significant splash their rookie season.  That position might be best filled by free agency or trade.  DT is a need, but might not be as much of a need come next offseason.  If Glassgow makes a full recovery, we know he is good depth.  Billings seems to be holding down the fort at NT, and honestly I haven't paid a lick of attention to Tupau to know how he has looked.  However, just like LB, the drop off from the top few in the class to the mid-round guys is huge at that position.  In order to attain a day one starter at DT, we might have to forego that top OT or TE that we so desperately need. As far as the Safety position, I don't see them having a "tremendous need", right now. Bates looks like a future star, Williams is not great, but he's experienced and don't cost a ton. If a good one falls, or the market is flushed with them in FA, then sure, upgrade the position.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2019 Draft: Linebackers, Offensive OT/Guard & safeties - SunsetBengal - 11-15-2018, 07:41 PM