Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict opens up about Marvin being the defensive coordinator
Between Teryl Austin and Greg Schiano, Ohio teams gave up 102 points in six days -- but I digress.

Let's say Vontaze Burfict is right and Marvin Lewis is a stellar defensive coordinator sixteen years after he last held that job and eighteen years after the Ravens won the Super Bowl where Marvin's defense allowed what? Seven points? Let's say Marvin cleaned up the tackling issue. Finally, let's say Marvin Lewis implemented a man coverage scheme.

This is all well and good but it's minicamp stuff teams cover in the spring plus new schemes teams usually learn during training camp. Marvin basically had to cram a buttload of minicamps and training camp into six days. Can the Cincinnati defense respond that fast? Can they put these new skills to use in a real game -- an away game -- and against a division rival at that?

I'm going to say yes! I spent some time watching some film of the 2000 Ravens' defense and while I know Marvin can't get the Bengals to that level of proficiency in six days, or ever, I know he can improve the defense measurably. According to Rod Woodson, Marvin's 2000 defense was based on two skills: (1) Don't miss tackles and (2) swarm to the ball. True to form, the Ravens rarely whiffed on a tackle and there were very few solo tackles made. There were always at least three guys bringing down a ball carrier.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Burfict opens up about Marvin being the defensive coordinator - Fan_in_Kettering - 11-18-2018, 12:33 AM