Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Lance McAllisters valid questions
(09-15-2015, 07:27 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: In my opinion this was a well thought out piece written by Lance McAlister of 700 wlw about the Cincinnati Bengals  fan base. What was interesting to me is the different markets he has been in and covered, yet he claims this one is a bit different.

I guess the question is why? Why exactly do you (or I) react the way we do? Why can't we just enjoy what we have and save the "anger and venom" for if and when we are bounced from super bowl contention?

Just so everyone knows, I am not personally pointing my finger at you or anyone else. I just thought I would share what I thought was an interesting take on our fanbase.  

http://www.700wlw.com/onair/lance-mcalister-7818/question-of-the-day-whats-up-13945683/

I don't find that Bengals fans are divided on the Bengals success as this guy says. I don't see that at all.

Instead, what I see is a fan base longing for a winning team that matches or exceeds the success of the previous boss, Paul Brown. Sure Bengals fans might not agree on how best to achieve this success, but all want to see it.

It really has nothing to do with Andy Dalton or even Marvin Lewis. It goes back much further than that. It goes back to before Andy was even in high school.

It goes back to 1991 when Mikey B took over the team and turned it into the laughingstock of all of professional sport the world over. Take the worst run franchise of today and the Bengals of the 90s would have been worse by an order of magnitude.

Even though Mikey B has changed his ways and some success has been realized, the team still embarrasses itself on national TV and in the playoffs. It gets a Monday night game against last year's weakest team in the preseason and the team lays an egg showing little effort at all.

We all hope they do well. Some believe Dalton can take the team to the promised land, others aren't so sure and a few have given up on him completely. But that's more on Dalton and Lewis. 0-4 in the playoffs doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Go back to the Bills run of 4 straight SBs. Did anyone actually expect them to win a SB the year after that 4th consecutive loss? Not really. In fact, we were all tired of seeing them in the big game and wanted someone else to represent the AFC.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lance McAllisters valid questions - BengalChris - 09-16-2015, 12:27 AM