Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Lance McAllisters valid questions
Man, Lance is annoying. I caught some of his show last night and I have quite a few thoughts:

1.) How many markets have seen a decade like the one we saw in the 90's? It was one of the worst runs not only in the history of the NFL, but in the history of sports. So I think it would be fair to see that we're rather unique in that regard.

2.) How many other NFL fanbases haven't seen a playoff win in 25 years? None, it's the longest drought in the league.

3.) How many professional teams have what's called "The Worst Stadium Deal in Professional Sports? Again, that would be just us. Bonus: A County Commissioner took a job with the team immediately after his term. (Shady/Insult to Injury)

4.) How many teams have give a press conference like we did 2010? Not many.

5.) How many teams don't have a practice facility? Not many.

6.) How many teams retain a coach after 12 years with no postseason success? Few, if any at all.

I could go on and on. None of what was just written above is really meant for actual debate. We've all talked about each one countless times. The actual point of all it, as a whole, is to point out that we're rather unique. That would be fair to say, no?

So an obvious answer or approach to explaining Lance's theory, that we are somewhat different in how we root for our team, is the idea that this team is somewhat different. Different results we'll dictate different levels of support. When you take into account our playoff drought, previous frutility, the relationship with ownership and the city, etc. it's no wonder our fanbase values and supports this team differently.

All that just said, I think Lance is full of shit. He's just looking for a talking point, and being the gigantic homer he is it was easy to drudge up such an obvious us vs them discussion. The fact that some fans are pessimistic, or angry, or jaded, or whatever, is not at all unique to this city. There are different levels of this most likely everywhere, and it's tied to the history of the team and it's fans. Something that I think Lance is deliberately missing.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lance McAllisters valid questions - Wes Mantooth - 09-16-2015, 10:33 AM