Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maher makes fun of Bpat, I mean comic book fans
(11-20-2018, 11:29 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Early Shakespeare criticism focused on his poor use of classical languages, his juvenile themes, and said he wrote for the masses not the educated. Dickens contemporaries dismissed his writing as without any real depth, relying on creating these fantasy stories with shallow characters that lacks intelligence. 

Was hoping this would be stated. I'm not a big comics reader. I have read some graphic series such as Sandman, Preacher, and some others, often graphic adaptations from novels I read. I've never been a "capes and tights" reader, but I've always known that there was a greater literary value in them than many critics of the medium tend to see. This is absolutely something that is seen throughout the ages where contemporary literature is often undervalued at the time. Chaucer and Shakespeare were both criticized heavily in their time, yet they have played a huge role in shaping English. Granted, there wasn't the distinction between high and low culture at the time and I'm not saying comic books are on the same level as Shakespeare, but the point is that what we see as low-brow can definitely have a hefty literary value.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Maher makes fun of Bpat, I mean comic book fans - Belsnickel - 11-20-2018, 12:37 PM