Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maher makes fun of Bpat, I mean comic book fans
(11-20-2018, 01:11 PM)Dill Wrote: I love Bill Maher--and comics, or I did more so when I was  kid.

But he is not particularly good at social/historical commentary.  He is good at polical humor, heavy on the irony, which gives him a platform to speak about most everything. Being good at the latter may led him, mistakenly, to believe he is good at the former.  

That said, I think there is plenty critique about U.S. pop culture, including sports, but formulations like "comic books cause X" won't deliver much.

As one who remembers George Carlin, Redd Foxx, Richard Pryor and Lenny Bruce, and is a current fan of Dave Chapelle, I'd say Comedians can do serious "cultural" and political work. And so can comics. But as with comedians, it doesn't mean that ALL of them do.  

Maher is on to something when he complains about "adulting" and the connection between pop culture, Trump and immaturity, but someone writing about "otherness" in the Silver Surfer is much closer to figuring it out than Maher is.

That sounds a lot like "He's good in areas where I agree with him."  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Maher makes fun of Bpat, I mean comic book fans - michaelsean - 11-20-2018, 01:35 PM