Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maher makes fun of Bpat, I mean comic book fans
(11-20-2018, 01:11 PM)Dill Wrote: Maher is on to something when he complains about "adulting" and the connection between pop culture, Trump and immaturity, but someone writing about "otherness" in the Silver Surfer is much closer to figuring it out than Maher is.

The complaint about "adulting" is still the old guy screaming to get off his lawn. People have bitched that "being a grown up sucks" since the dawn of time but the difference is now people post it on social media instead of sitting around saying it in a living room with friends. Again, somehow drawing some sort of parallel between casual activities and "not wanting to grow up" is just maturity gate keeping. It is propped up by outdated cultural stereotypes of certain activities and the people who partake in them. 

I play video games, which means I don't want to grow up. I also bought a house at 23, got married, made it into a director role and carry no debt other than a mortgage, but damn it I apparently just can't handle growing up because of those pesky video games. The activities you choose to spend your free time doing don't mean anything in regards to your ability to be mature or to be an "adult". I know plenty of guys who sit around and read history books and watch PBS that can't figure out how to hold a job. Outdated stereotypes are just that....outdated. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Maher makes fun of Bpat, I mean comic book fans - Au165 - 11-20-2018, 01:44 PM