Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High-speed police chases have killed thousands of innocent bystanders
(09-17-2015, 02:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The thing is that most arrests do not occur after a high speed chase.

Some of you seem to think that police are incapable of doing investigative work and catching criminals in any way other than a high speed chase.  But that just is not true.

If my car was stolen and the police killed an innocent person trying to chase down the thief I would feel terrible.  How would you feel?  Would you be able to tell the parents or spouse of the dead person that it was justified in order to get your car back because your car was worth more than the life of an innocent bystander?

I talk to police every day about this very subject as part of my job. I can assure you that while most arrests don't require a high speed chase, the odds of catching a criminal drop significantly when they get away, especially in property crime cases. How many detectives do you think departments have? If every person is allowed to drive off with zero consequences, then you better find funding to exponentially grow the number of detectives in every department. Things aren't as black and white as you'd like them to be.

Messages In This Thread
RE: High-speed police chases have killed thousands of innocent bystanders - Au165 - 09-17-2015, 02:57 PM