Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Were the injuries too much to overcome this year?
(11-30-2018, 02:23 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: There actually averaging about 36 points a game since week 6 (26 prior). They also have given up 55% third down percentage and 86 total third downs which is 19 more than the falcons.who are 2nd last. The differential between the falcons and the 5th best team has a less differential. 
I would say that the loss of Vigil and Carl Lawson have been huge but in 2013 we lost Geno, Mays, Lamur, and Hall and it didn't make a difference. The deph particularly at LB is Horrendous.

Exactly.

(11-30-2018, 04:03 AM)Synric Wrote: 1. The Packers run a very generic offense that forces Aaron Rodgers to be spectacular every snap. They do not help him with play design. 

If the Packers offense gave Rodgers more easy throws like the Patriots do Brady, the Saints do Brees or even the Rams do Goff Rodgers would be competing for a championship every year.

And honestly that's straight from Kurt Warner. Lol.

2. Because they were using only a single running back and giving Walton very few snaps the Bengals had to limit the touches to the RBs especially Gio which limited the playbook along with a new TE every game. Specifically the Atlanta game was yard on Gio because even though he had an obvious injury they kept having to bring him back in...from that week on Mixon has taken almost every snap. That is never good.

3. You keep mentioning the Packers winning a superbowl with injuries as "The Norm" it's not. It's more likely for a team with as many injuries as the Bengals have suffered to have a bad season then it is for a team with a bunch of injuries to pull through and win a superbowl.

1. Say what you want. If you take a poll of people on earth who know anything about the NFL, 99% of them would take McCarthy over Marvin Lewis. Any insult you could hurl at McCarthy, you could also say of Marvin, and McCarthy has a ring...as a Head Coach.

2. Oh, I know how not having your 2nd RB could be a hindrance. I just think (a) you're overstating how big a deal it is, and (b) the Packers had to deal with the same issue, only 10x worse. Mixon only missed 2 games all year and he's a fantastic RB. Far better than Brandon Jackson. Ultimately, Gio/Mixon look like they'll miss a combined 6 games for the season. That isn't much time and frankly I think it's pretty pathetic we're trying to use this as an excuse.

3. You're losing sight of the original point. I responded to a post that said "teams with 13 players on IR never win". I disproved that notion. So did eoxyod with the teams he listed. Tbh, I think the Bengals have won with worse injuries. 

2013: Lost Atkins for 7 games, Leon Hall for 11 games, and a combined 18 games for players such as Maualuga, Nelson, Newman, MJ, Kirkpatrick and Taylor Mays. Defense still ranked 3rd in yards allowed and 5th in points allowed. Team finished 11-5.

2014: Green missed 4 games, Marvin Jones missed the whole season, Eifert missed 15 games, Gio missed 3 games. Burkhead missed 7 games. Tate, Sanzenbacher and Greg Little had a combined 5 starts at WR. Burfict missed 11 games. Lamur missed 2 games. Newman missed 3 games. Maualuga missed 4 games. Thompson missed 5 games. Dennard missed 2 games. Still missed 4 games. Team finished 10-5-1 and won multiple games without key players like AJ Green.

(11-30-2018, 10:21 AM)XsandOs Wrote: I disagree.

You used a comparison that is unfair, to make a point that a Team has won a SB, with the same degree of injuries.

When I pointed out that their entire offense was virtually intact - you state that the Bengals were not good, even before injuries.

When I point out that in fact, we were winning before AJ got injured, and had the same record as your comparator, despite the plethora of other injuries - you divert the discussion to what I view as a nonsensical direction.

So, we disagree.

1. Nothing unfair about comparing 2 teams with the same amount of injuries. I went far more in depth with details on the teams than you have, so I don't see how I've been unfair. 

2. If providing context is nonsensical to you, I see no reason to continue. You just want to disagree and that's fine. Tootles. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Were the injuries too much to overcome this year? - Shake n Blake - 11-30-2018, 02:29 PM