Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Myth of Having to Go Into a Season With Cap Space
(11-30-2018, 12:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Something else worth noting when I was just looking at contracts...
Andy Dalton is the 20th highest-paid QB on an average-per-year basis at $16 mill a year. He is also the lowest paid veteran long-term starter in the league. All other QBs lower are either on rookie deals, backup-level deals, or stopgap starter deal (Tyrod Taylor, $15.25 mill a year for 2 years, right after Dalton on a per-year basis).
Dalton also has the lowest percentage of his contract guaranteed out of all veteran starters at just 17.7%

I think this is important for two reasons:
1) It means there really isn't much of a hit if Dalton were to be released
2) Dalton isn't getting paid nearly as much as most other QB starters in the league, which allows the Bengals to put more money toward other positions. They are paying fair contracts to their star players in Atkins, Dunlap, and Green. The glaring individuals who are probably getting "overpaid" based on their performance are Kirkpatrick (13th highest paid CB) and Cordy Glenn (8th highest paid LT).

So I think outside of a couple bloated contracts in DK and Glenn, the Bengals really just need to get (better) production from (some of) their guys on rookie deals and cheaper veterans.

And MJ. But yes. I agree with your analysis.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Myth of Having to Go Into a Season With Cap Space - THE PISTONS - 11-30-2018, 02:36 PM