Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Were the injuries too much to overcome this year?
(11-30-2018, 02:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The offensive line has been generally healthy and bad.

Guys like Brown and Burfict at LB weren't good when healthy.

Injuries are hurting us. But's it's the difference between maybe 8 wins and 6.

Agreed. I'm not saying injuries haven't hurt us at all. What I'm saying is...

1. Injuries haven't been our biggest issue, and that shouldn't be the narrative for why this season is a flop.
2. Injuries don't automatically torpedo your chances.
3. Injuries didn't take us from an 11-5 type of team to a 6-10 team. 

That 5-3 record at the BYE felt like as much luck as anything else. With the way the team (particularly the defense) was playing, I was thanking my lucky stars for that record. Before AJ Green went down, our defense couldn't hold the Steelers for 1 minute, then we got buried by KC, then we almost imploded against Fitzpatrick. What we've seen the last 3 weeks was just a continuation of that. 

The defense was awful from jump (before injuries) and there was no way our offense was going to keep up with the D allowing 30+ ppg all season. I'm pretty sure that no team has ever finished with a winning record when their defense allowed 30+ ppg...and once again, injuries can't be blamed for the defensive performance. We didn't fire the DC "cuz injuries".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Were the injuries too much to overcome this year? - Shake n Blake - 11-30-2018, 02:45 PM