Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Stamps Put Poor Kids on Path to Success
(12-06-2018, 10:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What more programs do we need, in order to help people to improve their situation?  We have essentially free Community College education for anyone wanting and willing to use it.  Most Community Colleges have their course offerings specifically tailored to meet the job needs of their locality.  A hand up, rather than a hand out..  From my observations in life, proud people don't want "free stuff" as much as they just want to be in a better position to help themselves improve their situation.

That depends on where you are. Here, that's not the case. The availability of job training programs is not something that is adequate across the country. Whether it be cost, transportation, availability of classes, or other factors, community college or vocational training is difficult to access for most people that need it in this country. There are attempts going on to change that, but that is being stymied in many places by some politicians.

I'm advocating for "hand up" types of policies. What I'm saying is that instead of replacing a hand out with a hand up, moves like this are just taking the hand away entirely.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Food Stamps Put Poor Kids on Path to Success - Belsnickel - 12-07-2018, 10:17 AM