Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Salary Cap - Bengals Cap Space
(12-13-2018, 02:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I understood your point, but I'm saying you were exaggerating to try to make your point. They've never stated they were reserving $20 mill for the draft. They've never even said half of that ever. Here's what was mentioned back from the "model model" article regarding draft spending and injuries...
https://www.bengals.com/news/model-model-7033688

Their big culprit for reserved cap space has always been around extensions the past few years. And in the past, it made sense because guys like Atkins, Dunlap, a healthy Eifert, a healthy/nonsuspended Burfict, etc were guys who needed extension. And the following guys are expected to hit FA after next year...
AJ Green
Tyler Boyd
Andrew Billings
Clint Boling
Gio Bernard
Christian Westerman
Nick Vigil
William Jackson III (if they don't pick up his option, which they very likely will)

I did exaggerate some numbers, but mostly because the Bengals haven't said anything about the numbers for next year yet and the team will likely be drafting in the top 7 this year, which does translate to a higher rookie pool. I don't know how much though as no one has said.

You are correct about the extensions. Probably just add more to those and take some off the rookie pool, but my final number for money available for outside free agents isn't that far off.

Extending AJ Green should be #1 priority, then Boyd and Boling. They should also exercise Jackson's option. He may be having a down year, but the talent is there.

How much will be left after that? No much, depending on how the contracts are structured. Bernard's replacement is already on the team in Watson I believe. Not saying that I agree Watson should replace Bernard, but I can see it coming.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2019 Salary Cap - Bengalholic - 12-11-2018, 08:28 PM
RE: 2019 Salary Cap - Bengals Cap Space - BengalChris - 12-13-2018, 03:57 PM