Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Many Players Away Do YOU Think We Are?
(12-15-2018, 11:58 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I remember last year - PFF had 7-8 of our starters ranked in the 40's/50's which is low. People thought we just needed to get rid of Alexander and the line would improve drastically. This year, it rates out about the same.

Some thought with 1-2 additions that the team would be a contender this year. We're obviously not.

So what are your thoughts? How many upgrades do we need?

I'd say we need at minimum:
-3 upgrades on the offensive line - (1 could be Price improving his play)
-1 starting TE (not Eifert. Time to move on)
-3rd WR - (Maybe Ross improves into that role. We definitely need more production out of that spot.)

On Defense
-2 LBs - I'll count Vigil as being ok for next year assuming we can upgrade the other 2 spots.
-DT? - We could use another Good DT. The guys we have next to Geno are average at best. Maybe Glasgow recovers and it's him?
-CB - Outside of Jackson, we need another CB to play more capable. Maybe the pass rush helps that?

That's a lot of needs for 1 year.

It's tough to say for a couple of reasons, mainly injuries and roster age.

On the OL, I think we can all agree that Hart isn't the answer at RT.  So that's one.  Redmond would have to show a ton of growth, so I think we can say RG, also.  Price is going to get another year, Bolling is solid, and they invested a lot in Glenn.  So that's realistically 2, although maybe only one if Westerman is the answer at G.  Since Glenn's struggles are with speed, you could also potentially get better results getting a LT and moving him to RT.

TE is a need if for no other reason than our top 3 are UFA's next year.

At WR, they are going to give Ross the chance to continue to develop.  A lot of us wrote Boyd off last year, and look what he's done this year.  WR is definitely a position where it takes most players time to develop.

At LB, they desperately need at least one guy than can handle TE's and RB's in man, arguably two.  Jefferson may fill one of those spots, but is young and unproven.

Billings has a 70.9 PFF grade, which is considered above average.  I don't see DT as a huge need, but it could be improved.

Edge rusher is more of a concern to me.  When Lawson went down, Geno's sacks dried up. However, Lawson should bounce back and Hubbard has shown some flashes.  We can probably roll with the youth, here.

CB is another spot where we have a lot of young guys.  Dre's been playing hurt most of the year.  It's a spot where I would look for an established vet on a 1-2 year deal.

Realistically, we're looking at replacements at RG, RT, TE, nickel CB, and 2 LB's.  You could probably roll with what we have at RG if you upgrade RT and between Jefferson's development and Vigil at least being serviceable, one LB if you had to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How Many Players Away Do YOU Think We Are? - Whatever - 12-15-2018, 06:58 PM