Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ireland becomes first country to legalize gay marriage via pop vote
(05-25-2015, 08:24 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I have not heard that .... But I will take your word for it.... This is such a who cares issue.... Not even sure why we are wasting time with all the problems we have atm.  

We will see.   I know loads of counties wont do it here.   Mainly because the belief is that it's a state issue.    When it happens one way or the other i will pay attention to the reaction.    We get a more mainstream view of things here.   We aren't biased by the NE.

I think it's safe to say that the four liberal judges (Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayor, and Kagan) will rule against these bans. Alito, Scalia, and Thomas are almost 100% likely to believe that these bans should be upheld. That leaves Roberts and Kennedy. Kennedy sided in favor of the majority in the DOMA decision, which many believe is a sign that he will side with the liberal judges on this one. Roberts, like with the ACA decision, may side with the constitution on this one and make it a 6-3 in favor of striking down the bans. He only partially sided with Scalia on the Windsor (DOMA) case and his own dissent focused more on the whether the courts had the jurisdiction to hear that specific case. He mentions that they will likely soon hear a case on individual state bans and stated that the opinion of the DOMA case should not be used a precedent by lower states to make their decision on those cases. A lot of technical jargon, so it's hard to tell considering he was dissenting more on principle than the actual issue.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ireland becomes first country to legalize gay marriage via pop vote - BmorePat87 - 05-25-2015, 09:32 PM