Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohio State Haskins will be Great NFL QB
(12-26-2018, 09:15 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I'm talking zone read type plays. His deep ball is his calling card. His touch and accuracy, while playing behind a porous rt  possibly the worst in cfb is something of itself. Also scoring 80(which is what they would have scored) on the #1 defense is amazing. He always showed up in big games. He just was in a horrible system..

I'll rewatch the full Michigan game when I have some time, but even looking at the highlights, you see just how much the system and the talent around him is helping him.  He gets a 25 yard TD pass on a 5 yard crossing route to a wide open receiver for his first TD.  His second TD, his receiver bails him out on a terribly thrown fly route where his receiver has to work back to the numbers from the sideline.  Pro CB's don't allow WR's to just run around them on the sideline and work back inside.  The wall them off against the sideline and make a play on the ball themselves.  On his 3rd TD, Dixon doesn't have a defender within 10 yards and is slowing down and still has to make an adjustment on a ball thrown behind him.  4th TD is a 2 yard throw to a wide open Hill off a rub.  5th TD is to a wide open Campbell on a flag route who has to adjust to a ball thrown high and slightly behind.

Just looking at his TD throws, his best was was his first TD on the shallow cross/RAC play.  He hits his receiver in stride and they got enough separation from the play design and their athletic ability to score.  2nd best was #4, where he throws it a tad low, but catchable and the receiver basically just has to walk across the goal line after making the catch.  His 2nd TD throw was terrible and he was completely bailed out by his receiver.  #3 and #5 are bad throws that are TD's because his receivers are wide open.  Those aren't completions against even decent coverage.  I'm going to rewatch more games, but his receivers seem to have to turn completely around and wait on the ball a lot on his TD passes into the end zone.  Those aren't NFL caliber throws.  He's not displaying the ability to fit it into the tight windows he's going to be faced with in the pros.

What OSU did to Michigan was impressive, but remember that they had a couple of picks that set them up deep in Michigan's end and a punt block for TD, plus a 78 yard TD off a jet sweep.  It wasn't all, or even mostly Haskins.

OSU is primarily just showing zone read looks to help the RB a little with Haskins.  He's gotta keep it once in awhile to keep the D honest, but those are primarily intended to be hand offs.  The system combined with the talent around him is really inflating his passing numbers.  He gets a ton of short high percentage throws to guys that are a threat to go the distance any time they get the ball in space and he gets a ridiculous number of wide open receivers that he just has to drop it in the same area code.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ohio State Haskins will be Great NFL QB - Whatever - 12-27-2018, 12:31 AM