Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest problem with defense this season
(12-28-2018, 12:29 AM)PlayadLc Wrote: Everyone here is missing the boat. Look at the article. Our Dline, our supposed strongest unit, is at the bottom of the league in pressures.

Our Dline and Oline are trash, we have no TE’s, our LB’s are among the worst in the league and we have okay DB’s.

It’s not the coaches guys. It’s really not. This Bengals team is void of talent in a major way.

Yeah, right, Haslett has nothing to do with our LB core being the worst in the NFL and Geno, Dunlap, WJ3,
Bates and Hubbard have no talent...

Good coaches have done much better with much less and Haslett has had his Linebackers out of position since
he got here, they don't fill gaps, they cannot tackle worth a shit and they cannot cover. Some of these LB's were
supposed to be decent in coverage in college too like Vigil, Evans and Jefferson.

Just cause of your post i am calling for Burney's head with having this much talent to work with on the D-line
and them being this bad. Losing Lawson and Glasgow hurt but it shouldn't be this bad.

(12-28-2018, 01:23 AM)Whodey614 Wrote:  From what I've seen, Billings has caught some of the similar criticism Peko received his last few years here. I don't get it because he's had a pretty solid season. Even has a couple of sacks and scouts said he had zero ability to rush the passer. 

I wouldn't be against an Ed Oliver type of pick if he's available as he would be the perfect DT to pair with Geno (and replacement when Geno retires), but Billings is far from the biggest problem of the defense this year. Having linebackers that are disciplined and can attack the run helps a defensive line too.

Billings can bullrush but that is about it right now but he is still really young. Still have hope, he has better stats
than Peko's best year here this season.

(12-28-2018, 12:37 PM)jason Wrote: That's because every QB can just dump it off to a TE or RB in 1.5 seconds... LBs can't cover shit. NOBODY can get sacks with that happening. You can throw out numbers all day. Pay attention to details.

Hit the nail on the head.

(12-28-2018, 02:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: It's a culmination of a lot of shitburgers across the board.  The LB corp was absolutely straight up doo doo as well after Preston Brown's injury.  Vigil was playing decent in coverage, but getting knocked all over the place in the run game.  Hardy Nickerson shouldn't be starting anywhere, and age is catching up to Vinny Rey.  Burfict was a shit show, Evans wasn't much better.  QBs could dump off the ball over the middle with impunity.

The first few games, Lawson and Glasgow were out there helping generate pressure.

The d line has been bad, the whole defense has been bad, but to act like the LB corp isn't the worst of the bad is disingenuous at best.  After all, against the run, the line's job is to eat blocks and the backers are to fill the holes.  Most of the time, the LBs weren't within a country mile of the proper gap.  They were a steaming pile.  The dline was a less fresh pile.  If they get an F, the LB corps gets an F----------------------to infinity.

Yes, it is a lot of things but damn have these backers been terrible.

Need to get a new LB coach and add a couple talented LB's.

(12-28-2018, 02:05 PM)Wyche Wrote: Why in the hell this defense seldom runs stunts and twists across the line is beyond me.  It's like these dumbasses with the headsets around here think all the interior linemen can do is bullrush, and all the DEs can do is pressure from the outside shoulder.  GET CREATIVE YOU SLUGS!

No creativity whatsoever, this is on the coaches.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Biggest problem with defense this season - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 12-28-2018, 02:37 PM