Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying a refurbished desktop
Hello,

With this reply I don't know of any specific refurbishers, but I have had good luck recently with eBay. For $44.00 plus shipping this company in Syracuse sent me a whitebox computer from the Vista era that had been used in a university setting. They cleaned it out a little and then installed dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows 7. For another $20.00 including shipping I found an NVIDIA graphics card that would work in it plus a link to an up-to-date driver. With that upgrade plus the 8GB RAM it already had it zips through everything I need to do plus runs Second Life very well. At least until I get forced over to Windows 10 by default this computer should do well for me along with another that runs Windows 8.1 and this laptop which runs lubuntu LXLE.

Linux/Ubuntu is my choice for surfing since there is so much less exposure to red screen malware or any type of viruses. Plus the SeaMonkey browser with Duck Duck Go search engine means I'm tracked way less.

Best of luck to you. Did you mention you were looking at a Dell? They've always worked well for me and my 8.1 machine is an Inspiron i3647 that continues to work well.

Jolene
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Buying a refurbished desktop - grampahol - 12-31-2018, 07:31 AM
RE: Buying a refurbished desktop - WiregrassBenGal - 12-31-2018, 10:02 AM
RE: Buying a refurbished desktop - bfine32 - 01-03-2019, 01:00 AM
RE: Buying a refurbished desktop - bfine32 - 01-07-2019, 10:10 PM