Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So...where are all the interviews for Marvin Lewis?
(01-07-2019, 10:41 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: 3/4.  Totally disagree for a few reasons but make it simple.. We have two HOF In Green and Atkins, they still have a few years left, we have a proven veteran in QB for 2 years in Dalton, and we just had a good draft this year and at least some quality players the last couple.

In 2003, Palmer has never played a down, if drafting was that easy, no teams would ever miss on #1 picks and we know that is not true, TJ had not shown much in 2 years, hell people were writing Boyd off last year after up/down 2 seasons so no way you could predict what he would do, besides under Marvin he broke out in 2003 so did Chad.. another hmmm...how about Rudi.. nothing for 2 seasons, then breaks out in Marvins first year as coach.. another hmmm..  Tobin did a nice job drafting in 01/02 but it is not till Marvin comes in that those picks start to shine and Marvin coming in as a head coach for sure had say on draft picks no doubt in my mind.. FA have always been a big different because that is $$ MB has to shell out above and beyond rookie contracts so I agree Marvin was limited on those and he has admitted as much. 
I really believe Marvin would have left the Bengals early if he was having little say on draft picks especially after the early success he had turning the worse team around and getting to playoffs in 2005, he could have probably taken any open job after the first 3 seasons he coached here...

1.  You are assuming what might have happen with another coach.. the bottom line is Marvin did turn it around

- Yeah we have Geno/Dunlap plus a good core of offensive players at the skill positions and QB. Our best players are all 30+ though. The players we had in 2003 were just as good and at the beginning of their careers, not towards the end. The o-lines are also miles apart, and both defenses stunk. Not sure why you're even trying to debate me on this point.

- I don't need hindsight. I remember the 2003 draft. Palmer was the consensus #1 pick regardless of who held it. The Bengals did due diligence on Leftwich and Newman, but the pick was always going to be Palmer. Everyone knew. Again, it didn't take Marvin to see Palmer was the pick.

- Housh had 62 catches for 720 yards in his first 2 years. He showed plenty of promise...especially for a guy that had to convince everyone (being a 7th round pick). Besides, it ain't about "predicting" brother. It's about who he was. He was a talented player, and Marv had him. Why are you trying to twist that? 

- Chad had already "broke out" in 2002. 1166 yards.

- Rudi, same as Housh. He was a talented young player, stuck behind Dillon. Doesn't matter what he did pre-Marv, he was clearly a talented player, and Marv had him. 

- Ok, so we sort of agree on something. Tobin had a bigger role on who we drafted. Marv was smart enough to see (and eventually play) the talent. I think any coach worth a damn would've seen the talent in Housh and Rudi though. 

- Not sure what you were trying to say on FA. Sure, I think Mike could've spent more in the mid-later years, but as I pointed out, Mike spent plenty that first year, which helped get the ball rolling.

- Yes, Marv did turn it around...with a very talented roster. Again I'll ask: Do you think Denny Green or Tom Coughlin would've had similar results? Answer honestly.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: So...where are all the interviews for Marvin Lewis? - Shake n Blake - 01-08-2019, 02:19 PM