Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lawmakers introduce constitutional amendment to impose term limits on Congress
(01-11-2019, 11:33 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: Just out of curiosity, for thos who oppose term limits what is your stance on term limits for POTUS?

I think term limits for POTUS are fine, and the reasoning is because it is one person with a ton of power. Now, I'm actually more of a fan of a parliamentary style of government than a presidential one, but if you have a presidential form of government where the executive is elected separately and wields significant authority external of the legislative branch, then term limits are a very reasonable thing. I do, however, agree to term limits on legislative leadership. So Speaker, Party Leaders in both houses, and if it were parliamentary, the PM, all should have limits on them for their service in those roles. Just like POTUS, they carry significant weight as an individual. Right now, for instance, McConnell is single-handedly keeping the government shut down.

And even though you didn't ask about this, I do not agree with limits on service for SCOTUS. The reason being is that the branch is supposed to be non-political, though we know it is to some degree. If there was a known end date of a term for a Justice, it would make the judiciary even more politicized than it already is.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lawmakers introduce constitutional amendment to impose term limits on Congress - Belsnickel - 01-11-2019, 11:47 AM