Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With Green/Atkins/Dalton's Window Closing......
(01-19-2019, 02:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Okay, if we had no one other than the guys on rookie contracts here right now how long do you predict it would take to "re-build"?

I don’t recall saying that I wanted to replace EVERY player not on a rookie deal, but yes some of them should be traded if possible and if the compensation makes sense.

We have a lot of talented players here, but it has taken several years to accumulate them.  I don't know how we could be better off re-building with zero than rebuilding with established players.

Again, I don’t wish to build from “zero”, but I do believe that this team needs some new on-field leadership just as badly as they needed it on the sidelines

Since the draft is a crap shoot then any "re-boot" based just on draft picks is also a crap shoot.  It is much smarter to work with the players we have already found and reduce our gambling with draft picks to just the few major holes that we have right now.  On offense we need 2 O-linemen and a TE, On defense we need 2 or 3 LBs and a DT (if we re-sign Dennard).  We are not going to get a huge pile of picks for our older expensive players and we are not going to hit on 100% of our picks.

I would not attempt to build with just draft picks. I would try to supplement with a few key free agent signings. The reason that I do not want to build around our current core is because first of all I don’t buy that we are only a few players away. In my opinion we need to replace at least 3 starters on the O-line, and all 3 starters at LB. I believe that it will take a couple of years to get those pieces in place and then maybe another year or two to get the young players playing at a high level. If you are content to squeak into the playoffs and then get embarrassed by the real contenders, then building around our current core might get you there. If you want to try to build a true contender then you might have to make some uncomfortable decisions and try something different.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: With Green/Atkins/Dalton's Window Closing...... - HuDey - 01-19-2019, 06:26 PM