Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Left-Wing Media Is Ruining My High School
(01-21-2019, 05:09 PM)Dill Wrote: One parent looks to be managing this well. His son was there, but from a different Catholic school. He apparently told the Native Americans land gets taken all the time. "That's the way it works."

https://www.owensborotimes.com/news/2019/01/catholic-schools-under-fire-for-comments-at-indigenous-peoples-march-school-officials-father-respond/

The father said his son is a good kid who chose his words poorly.

“He said ‘land gets taken away’ and it does, but a 16-year-old boy doesn’t understand that there is pain there. It takes age to understand how harmful that is,” the father said. “Nothing in his life has been taken. It’s easy to be glib at 16. But as you get older and you deal with loss, you understand that empathy, you understand things being taken.”

“This is not a ‘boys will be boys’ situation,” the father said. “This is a 16-year-old who doesn’t have that empathy of loss. Words are important, whether on national news or what you say to a loved one.”

Public uproar began when a young man wearing a “Make America Great Again” hat stood near and stared at an indigenous man who was drumming as other young men surrounding the situation cheered and chanted. Some of the onlookers were wearing Covington Catholic High School clothing.

Good father, I think.  

This is a good point in general. I think empathy is confused with agreeing today and people don't want to be grouped in with agreeing with things they don't necessarily believe in. We need more empathy in general, you don't have to like what people believe but you need to be able to understand why they feel that way to gauge your response. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Left-Wing Media Is Ruining My High School - Au165 - 01-21-2019, 05:16 PM