Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCOTUS: Trump military trans ban can continue during appeals process
(01-23-2019, 01:13 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course suicidal thoughts and feeling your gender is not the same; really nothing is the same. But they are similar: you feel you don't belong.

Not sure that failing to disclose medical information is the same as barring minorities from service

Hormones are an issue because the Military is a "competition" when it comes to promotions. For instance (not that I have any personal experience but) if a Soldier is striving for advancement and part of that advancement is how well you preform on the fitness test compared to your peers. Should you be required to disclose if you are undergoing any type of hormone treatment?

As far as the suicidal thoughts, I don't think that's any kind of a comparison. There's an effort to try and relate it by trying to say both are mental conditions (which is incorrect) or by the more dubious trying to link transgenderism and suicide. I think everyone at some point has feelings they don't belong, but not everyone gets access to fully automatic weapons or is entrusted to protect someone else.

You've never seen Mulan? 

Mellow

Seriously, though, it's more relevant than trying to draw comparisons to transgender folks and suicidal thoughts. At one time, people said women couldn't serve because they were emotional or physically incapable or because the effect it would have on morale or whatever. Blacks were part of several military operations, but not generally combat until the 40s or 50s. I think the harder part for transgenders is there are fewer of them wanting to join the military, so there isn't as much benefit by allowing them to serve in comparison to the presupposition by some that all transgenders are homosexuals, drag queens, etc. 

And to answer the question, I dunno. I'm not in the military. To me, promotions would logically be more concerned with a person's ability to lead, understand his role and duties, and his history. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: SCOTUS: Trump military trans ban can continue during appeals process - Benton - 01-23-2019, 01:26 AM