Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a left handed relief pitcher.
(01-23-2019, 02:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We have three solid right handed relivers in Iglesias, Hughes, and Hernandez, but we have zero from the left side.  Both Peralte and Garrett were terrible last year and nothing in their track record indicates they will be better this year.

We have two left handed starters under contract who I assume we will move to the bullpen (Brandon Finnegan, Cory Reed).  Neither of them have been very impressive, but sometimes a guy can struggle as a starter but develop into a solid reliever.

There are still a few left handed free agent relief pitcher, but they all have red flags.  Oliver Perez (1.39 ERA) and Tony Sipp (1.86) were both great last year but both are 35+ and coming off of bad seasons.  They could be good, but they look like a couple of flukes.

And at the same time nothing says that neither of them can have a great season. Every player is only as good as they are and unless severely injured here's no reason to think they're doomed to remain where they were last year.. New pitching coach, new manager, new team.. They're young guys with plenty of room to grow..  Truth is that our past manager(s) and pitching coach(es) probably didn't know how to use them properly nor teach them the way they should have. There's a reason the last staff was canned. It wasn't because of lack of talent on the field.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need a left handed relief pitcher. - grampahol - 01-24-2019, 07:24 PM