Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was Ending The Shutdown Honorable?!
(01-28-2019, 01:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't get it...if the shutdown is so admirable and important why did he end it, even temporarily?
So that government employees could get paid so that families aren't suffering.  I kind of thought that that was obviously my point.
(01-28-2019, 01:41 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Everyone who isn't a Trump sycophant.

Not all of the employees do. So, those that got furloughed get nothing. Granted, they weren't working, but how many of them would have preferred to have been working? All of them. Also, federal contractors will not get back pay. Many of them had to continue doing their jobs during the shutdown and they won't get paid anything for that because the backpay doesn't cover them. On top of that, the ripple effects economically can only partially be made up. You have tons of people that are indirectly impacted by the government shutdown because their businesses aren't being patronized by these workers. They don't get any compensation for that. States with high numbers of federal employees take a hit to their coffers as consumption based taxes are drastically reduced for the period.

Most people do not understand the way a government shutdown effects the economy. Everything is so interconnected that you can never fully grasp the full measure of it.

Except it is an unnecessary goal that most of the country is against him on. Also, the CBA you could run on the shutdown for the wall would definitely skew towards more cost than benefit.

What percentage of employees don't get backpay?  

People may not understand the government shutdown and how it effects the economy, but people also don't see how the wall will help the economy in the long run and how it will improve our country.

It's not overwhelming that people are against him on the wall (something like 45% for an 55% opposed the last I saw), and how many people opposed are Democrats who oppose it just because he's Republican or minorities who see it as oppression? I don't know anyone that has been polled.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was Ending The Shutdown Honorable?! - BFritz21 - 01-28-2019, 01:55 PM