Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Is Trump's Wall A Bad Thing?
(01-28-2019, 09:05 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: A wall won't "effectively stop immigration". It won't even "seriously curb" it. It's hardly the "best means" nor the "only one that can get through legislation". 

Many people here have pointed to working on the bigger cause (overstaying visas) for the last two years. You'd likely have bipartisan support for it if you coupled it with protecting Dreamers. 

The wall is only being entertained as this be-all-and-end-all because Donald Trump decided to make it the center point of his campaign. The fact that someone with no immigration or political experience is in a position to set this narrative doesn't mean we have to ignorantly accept it. 

I have never said that a will is the end all, but it will put a serious curb on it.
The other thing is update where people cross Land and fly out and by sea. Get a server in place to track all of that. I bet once done, the overstays aren't nearly as much as you think. The problems with them is if the person has filed an AOS then they are allowed to stay in the US even if their visa expires, however, once approved, they don't back them out of those numbers they keep reporting them as overstays, and even people that do leave on time, aren't always tracked correctly cause of the current broken system.

(01-28-2019, 09:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: No, we won't pass any serious legislation that curbs illegal immigration, but it's not the reason you think. Comprehensive, bipartisan, immigration reform packages based on actual analysis have been proposed, like the one in 2013. Why wasn't it made into law? Because the GOP led House refused to bring it to the floor. They refused to pass their own version and bring it to conference. The explanation I have heard floated most is that immigration is one of the few policy areas where Republicans are perceived as having an edge on Democrats, and so they don't want to lose it as a campaign topic. Passing meaningful immigration legislation takes that issue off the table.

Strangely enough, I figured the Democrats to be the ones that have the edge on immigration.

I've already explained a way to get dreamers and any illegals in the system that we can. Amnesty is not going to be a part of that. Laws were broken and we can not award people for that. What we can offer a 5 year green card that allows them to remain here and work legally. This will also make sure they keep their noses clean cause if they are ever convicted of any major crimes we can simply deport them. Also keeps them from using the government assistance programs. Trade offs are needed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why Is Trump's Wall A Bad Thing? - Mike M (the other one) - 01-29-2019, 01:04 PM
RE: Why Is Trump's Wall A Bad Thing? - CJD - 01-31-2019, 09:35 PM
RE: Why Is Trump's Wall A Bad Thing? - CJD - 01-30-2019, 01:01 PM
RE: Why Is Trump's Wall A Bad Thing? - CJD - 01-31-2019, 08:53 AM
RE: Why Is Trump's Wall A Bad Thing? - CJD - 01-31-2019, 02:53 PM
RE: Why Is Trump's Wall A Bad Thing? - CJD - 02-01-2019, 10:41 AM
RE: Why Is Trump's Wall A Bad Thing? - CJD - 02-01-2019, 11:19 AM
RE: Why Is Trump's Wall A Bad Thing? - CJD - 02-01-2019, 07:30 PM
RE: Why Is Trump's Wall A Bad Thing? - CJD - 02-01-2019, 08:32 PM
RE: Why Is Trump's Wall A Bad Thing? - CJD - 02-06-2019, 09:45 AM