Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gov. Ralph Northam ‘deeply sorry’ after photo emerges from his 1984 yearbook...
(02-04-2019, 12:55 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Would I be correct in thinking you've been more convinced by his response to this crisis of his need to resign than based on the pictures themselves?

Yes. That has been the biggest issue for me. I will freely admit that my calls for his resignation at the onset were politically based.

This is the "local" election year (or the "off-off-year") which means the entire General Assembly will be up for election in November. Right now, the GOP holds slight, tiny majorities in both chambers (in the House, it is 51-49 and was decided by drawing a name from a bowl because of a tie). Because of the abortion commentary dust-up, things were already a little tenuous. With this situation, it weakens the Democratic chances if Northam is still in office. I immediately saw this situation and that is why I called for it.

Then he held that press conference. Him walking back his apology, trying to change the story, almost frickin' moonwalking at the presser (thank goodness for Pam), and all that has happened since have shown me that he needs to go not just for political reasons, but because he is now unable to govern. He has lost any political capital he had as governor. He has lost the trust of Virginians.

At first, I was of the mindset that he needed to go for the good of the Democratic Party of Virginia, now I'm of the mindset he needs to go for the good of the Commonwealth as a whole.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Ralph Northam ‘deeply sorry’ after photo emerges from his 1984 yearbook... - Belsnickel - 02-04-2019, 01:03 PM