Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump mocks Elizabeth Warren’s heritage AND #metoo
(02-06-2019, 02:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: If I had a nickel for every time I've been told what I meant in this forum............

Again that's why I didn't say he was an excuse for her lying..just that Trump supporters who attack her for that lie conveniently ignore all of DJT's lies.

I never said it was okay for her to lie too.  

Fee free.  It doesn't mean what you want it to mean.   Smirk

In my short time visiting this particular subforum (P&R) I've found that you and I agree on a lot of things, GMDino.

However, I agree with the idea that bringing up Trump's lies when discussing Warren's "lies" (I am not even certain what she lied about. The last I heard, she did have a small amount of native American heritage, so I dunno if what she said is a lie or more just an exaggeration) is a logical fallacy called "Whataboutism" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism.

It probably has a more official title in terms of the logical fallacy discussion group.

But I don't think we, as Trump opposers, need to call out Trump's constant lying as some sort of argument supporting Warren.

Lies are bad regardless of side of the political spectrum you fall on. If Warren lied, she needs to be held accountable for those lies just like Trump does. 

The fact that Trump supporters expressly do NOT hold Trump accountable to his lies does not mean we should start not holding Warren accountable either (I'm not saying you said we should, just taking the next logical step in the discussion preemptively).

I think we can all agree that politicians who lie are bad. I think we can all also agree that the scale of the lie is important. But I don't think we should excuse Warren's lies (not saying you are doing this necessarily) simply because Trump lies more or lies in a way that is much more damaging to the country.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump mocks Elizabeth Warren’s heritage AND #metoo - CJD - 02-07-2019, 09:51 AM