Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump mocks Elizabeth Warren’s heritage AND #metoo
(02-06-2019, 08:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: A lie used to gain an advantage is still a lie whose purpose was to gain advantage.  If said advantage was not achieved this does not mitigate the intent of the lie.  An interesting aside, was she seen as a "white woman" when she submitted a recipe for the "Pow Wow Chow" cookbook?  Did the Boston globe cover the unquantifiable advantage that claiming to be an oppressed minority gave Warren in her quest for public office?  Lastly, is lying and covering for said lie for decades indicative of a person's character regardless of whether they, subjectively, benefited from said lie?

I await your brief reply to my latest, "angry scattershot" post.  Smirk

So there is an "unquantifiable advantage" which accrues to anyone seeking public office while "claiming to be an oppressed minority"?  Nervous 

I'll just leave that and move on to the less "subjective" question of whether there is any evidence Warren claimed NA identity to advance the career which positioned her for public office.

You claim Warren "flat out lied about her ethnicity to advance her career." But according to the records the Globe reporters found and the people they interviewed, she applied for graduate school, for her position at Texas, and at Penn, and her position at Harvard, as a white woman, not a native American.  She appears to have changed her ethnicity of record AFTER she was hired at U Penn, then changed it back after two years.  Same for Harvard; she changed her ethnicity of record years after the hire. Is that behavior more consistent with playing the minority card to get ahead or with the belief that "Mom told our family we had some NA ancestry, and I like that part of me"?

So there seems to be no evidence Warren claimed NA ancestry to "advance her career." Or are you arguing that inclusion in the cookbook was a public advantage?  I don't see a problem with someone self-identifying as NA to do that, especially if she actually has some NA ancestry, and if she believed stories she was told by her parents. Some Native Americans take issue with stuff like this, others do not. As DNA test availability is proving, lots of Americans are now surprised their ancestry is not quite what they thought.  Was GRR Martin lying when he told everyone for decades he was a quarter Italian--then found out he was a quarter Jewish?

https://www.timesofisrael.com/game-of-thrones-creator-george-r-r-martin-discovers-hes-a-quarter-jewish/

So at most we are talking about a "lie" NOT used to gain advantage, even if the advantage was not achieved.

No evidence, so whence comes the accusation she "flat out lied about her ethnicity to advance her career" taken up by so many on the right?  It appears to have started with her opponent in the 2012 MA senate race, Scott Brown, who said she got into Harvard as minority hire, a claim Trump later echoed.  It is also found on internet memes like this one:

[Image: warrenmeme.jpg?resize=600,641]

At this point, after the record has been checked, and this meme and Brown are all the evidence we have that Warren
"lied to get into Harvard," is it reasonable to conclude that Brown lied, and that Trump is repeating that lie?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump mocks Elizabeth Warren’s heritage AND #metoo - Dill - 02-08-2019, 04:13 AM