Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gov. Ralph Northam ‘deeply sorry’ after photo emerges from his 1984 yearbook...
(02-07-2019, 11:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think it's more dressing up like someone you're not than it is to mock. For instance as a child (I'm these folk's age) I dressed up as a "gogo" girl for halloween. I wore the short dress, the stripper boots, the blonde wig, and had the ballons for breasts.

If bfine were to ever run for public office; would anybody say he was disrespecting the LGBQTY community? Even if bfine had no idea of the political implications.

Not sure why you went with LGBTQ when the direct comparison would be women, but whatever.

I think the reason why there is more sensitivity to the idea of blackface is because of the history of minstrel shows. It is nigh impossible to look at a modern occurrence of blackface without separating it from that history, which is not that long ago to be honest. Minstrel shows, while they declined in popularity, existed around the country (including in northern states) well into the '60s.

I'm still in the mindset that if there is a revelation about something like this in a public figure's past, it isn't grounds for an immediate excommunication from public life. I said before that my knee-jerk call on Northam was more for political reasons. However, it has to be handled well. With Northam in particular, his changing story and abysmal press conference performance really sealed the deal for me on him and is why I don't have the same reaction for Herring. Herring has handled things well.

In this cluster-**** of a situation, my stance as a Virginia Democratic voter is:
Northam--resign
Fairfax--investigate the claims and proceed as necessary
Herring--move on
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Ralph Northam ‘deeply sorry’ after photo emerges from his 1984 yearbook... - Belsnickel - 02-08-2019, 09:46 AM