Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steve King: How did white supremacist become offensive?
(02-11-2019, 01:41 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I disagree to an extent. If what they did violates the law or is an egregious violation of the rules of the body, then expulsion is appropriate. However, if it's just asshattery then then should only be censured. The bar for removal from office without a democratic process is very high for me. This isn't to say I wouldn't encourage them to resign, and call for it publicly, but the voters should have their say in whether the person is in office or not. This is why recall elections should be possible.

Totally agree with the bolded.

I add that it sounds like McCarthy is saying " If we are going to go after those who normalize white supremacy, then we should go after those who criticize human rights violations in Israel. "  Since he and other Republicans fault Omar and Talib for their support of the BDS movement, his accusation appears to turn on a broad definition of antisemitism, which includes most any criticism of the Israeli state, especially by non-Jewish Semitic people.

I haven't seen any quotes by Omar and Tlaib which fit the narrower definition, which would limit the label to remarks about Jews based upon racial stereotypes and antisemitic ideology (e.g., parasitical Jewish bankers control the world). 

Perhaps they have made such remarks somewhere. If so, then censure is appropriate. If not, then a distinction needs to be made between criticizing a state on the basis of its human rights violations and--the polar opposite--actions denying universal human equality on racial/ethnic/religious grounds.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Steve King: How did white supremacist become offensive? - Dill - 02-11-2019, 06:07 PM