Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steve King: How did white supremacist become offensive?
(02-11-2019, 08:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: There has to be a floor for conduct and commentary for an elected official.  There exists procedural means for removing a House Rep from office and I don't know that criminal activity is the only thing that warrants it being put into effect.

I'm aware of this, but I think it should be a very strict line. The House leadership can restrict privileges, not put them on the assignments they want, whatever. But there should be a very high bar for the body to undo a democratic process wherein the people elected someone as their representative. I feel the same way about impeachment.

I tend to value the democratic process above many other things as a liberal democracy (I'm using the words in the political science context, y'all, so calm down if you were about to bust a blood vessel) is the foundation of our government. Without it, nothing else works.

(02-11-2019, 08:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I understand your comment about voters being the one to remove them from office, but that's close to two years away.

This is why I favor a system that allows recall elections. Now, in King's case, this isn't news. He was elected with the voters knowing full well he is a racist asshole, so it probably wouldn't matter.

(02-11-2019, 08:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Plus this assumes their constituents have a problem with their statements.  Just because you represent a constituency that's ok with your specific brand of racism doesn't mean you get to be racist and still be a member of Congress.

And if they choose a racist Representative, then they should be seated. Congressional leadership can prevent them from having any sort of real power, but they should still be seated and have their vote to represent their people. We should just recognize that the people that voted for them elected a racist to represent them. I don't think we should be afraid of saying that. If someone is elected that is knowingly racist, then that's on their supporters, but their racist views deserve to be represented (and drowned out) just like anyone else's stupidity.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Steve King: How did white supremacist become offensive? - Belsnickel - 02-12-2019, 09:45 AM