Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steve King: How did white supremacist become offensive?
(02-12-2019, 12:26 PM)Dill Wrote: So you DID say I support ISIS, but it's ok, because I DO defend ISIS "in some respects"?  If I point out the rather vicious ad hominem here (ignoring for a moment the self contradiction), then I must not be aware of "the intentional use of exaggeration." So it's all really just a deficiency on my part if I take offense to being called an ISIS supporter.

(Trump, by the way, is very aware of your "intentional use of exaggeration." He calls it "truthful hyperbole" and it muddies public discourse like no other tactic, in part by "normalizing" ad hominem attacks and in part by fuzzing the boundary between truth and fiction.)

Then after defending your ad hominem "hyperbole," comes the reversal of charges; now you say I should "cease" hyperbole--without establishing that I have used any, or explaining why you get to "exaggerate" and I don't.  

Which leads back to the thread topic: Could Omar also be making use of "intentional use of exaggeration" to make a point?

If so, she doesn't get a pass from you.

Deploying double standards--a license to exaggerate for you but not your opponents--is no way to oppose antisemitism or to contribute to any positive discussion of the phenomenon. 

Close with a question.

If you say you are "comfortable labeling Omar an antisemite," and tell me that "Based on your posting history you probably agree with everything they've  [she has] said," would not that be calling me, someone on this board, "probably" an antisemite?  If Omar is an antisemite, how could I probably agree with "everything she says" and NOT probably be one myself?  

It's all about the Benjamins.  Smirk

Messages In This Thread
RE: Steve King: How did white supremacist become offensive? - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 02-12-2019, 12:33 PM