Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trump Wants Drug Makers, Insurers, & Hospitals To Disclose Prices!
(02-13-2019, 11:41 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: No doubt pharma and/or VC's fund some of the research, but they still slide a large chuck of the bill across the table to the public.  Facilities, student tuition, pensions,....  Seems like they are making out like bandits to me.  

As an accountant for a public institution I can say that's not how it tends to work. If a professor has grant funded research, they have to separate that from their teaching gig. We have professors with separate computers in their offices for their research. As for facilities, have you ever noticed these big research institutions with buildings and wings named after individuals or organizations? Yeah, there is a reason for that.

Grant funded positions and projects don't receive funds from tuition, they often have to rent space in a facility if it is publicly funded, it's just a whole different thing. I deal with internal controls, so I have to look at how departments are safeguarding university (public) assets and that they are not intermingling with grant sponsored programs.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump Wants Drug Makers, Insurers, & Hospitals To Disclose Prices! - Belsnickel - 02-13-2019, 01:17 PM