Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Separating Church and State
(09-23-2015, 02:19 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Except it isn't, and despite right wing insistence to the contrary, the separation of church and state does not mean "keeping the gubmint out of religion, not religion out of gubmint derpppp".

You're right, that's what I get for skimming the article.

What I was alluding to is that Thomas Jeffersons "wall of separation" quote has been taken out of context or misinterpreted by liberals from Jeffersons original intent.
You'll be shocked to know that during Jefferson's time some states  had established religions. The Danbury Baptists, a minority religious domination in Connecticut, wrote a letter the President Jefferson complaining that a state established religion would infringe upon their rights as a minority.

Jefferson responded by saying he can't not get involved in religious issues or debates, that there must be a wall of separation between the government and matters dealing with religion. That the government shall make no law with respect to religion.

I'm not convinced that Jefferson would have objected to a judge having the Ten Commandments displayed in his courtroom or public school kids having a moment of silence so they could pray. That certainly wasn't Jeffersons focus with "wall of separation" comment.
That's the shit that misled liberals think Jefferson was talking about..

Messages In This Thread
Separating Church and State - Belsnickel - 09-23-2015, 09:29 AM
RE: Separating Church and State - Blutarsky - 09-23-2015, 06:20 PM
RE: Separating Church and State - GMDino - 09-23-2015, 09:03 PM
RE: Separating Church and State - GMDino - 09-24-2015, 11:07 AM
RE: Separating Church and State - GMDino - 09-23-2015, 09:48 PM