Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The right's obsession with AOC
(02-18-2019, 10:33 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I noticed you skipped over his trying to pack the SCOTUS.

I was including that in the flaws I mentioned.

(02-18-2019, 10:33 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Whether we had a 90% tax rate before or not, it's a radical idea now.

Why?

(02-18-2019, 10:33 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The work thing is from her FAQ that she then had people in her office lie about and subsequently had removed.

What did it say, exactly?

(02-18-2019, 10:33 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Eliminating ICE isn't going back to the way it was before, it's ending immigration enforcement.

No, it isn't. That's the conservative/GOP talking point about it, but that's not what the movement is about. It's about enforcing immigration laws in a humane way that doesn't involve federal overreach. When you listen to or read past the #AbolishICE hashtag there are nuances that aren't being seen by many people.

(02-18-2019, 10:33 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Rebuilding every building is straight from her "Green Deal".

I really don't remember seeing this. But I also have a lot of problems with that document so I read it with a very snarky attitude that caused me to not take much of it seriously.

Edit: I think I see what it is you are referring to, and that's a gross mischaracterization of that point in the resolution. What that point is saying is that "upgrading all existing buildings in the United States and building new buildings to achieve maximal energy efficiency, water efficiency, safety, affordability, comfort, and durability, including through electrification" is a goal of the Green New Deal. Will that be paid for with government funds? That's not stated there. If you take the whole document in context you can see that a goal like this could be worked towards by training/education and maybe tax breaks for certain projects taken on, incentivizing owners to make the upgrades.

There is a lot of pie-in-the-sky ideas in the document that make it unrealistic, and yes, the broadness of the resolution leaves it open to (mis)interpretation, but your critique here is not valid.

(02-18-2019, 10:33 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: As for FDR, yes some of his ideas were radical at the time and no longer are.  Some of them were radical for the time and still are.  He was, overall a good POTUS and certainly the right person for the job at the time.  However, that's not really the point here, is it?  It's your attempted comparison between FDR and AOC.  The first was a dedicated, intelligent, public servant, the other is an ex-bartender who isn't smart by any definition of the word.  Enjoy this cringe inducing clip.

I'm not comparing AOC to FDR, I'm saying the ideas she is pulling out come from the FDR playbook. The same can be said for the majority of the progressive movement, the radical left, the leftists, whatever you want to call the movement trying to pull the Democratic party back to those ideals. I think a lot of those ideas seem radical to people in the US now because the US is more conservative than any other WEIRD nation, and it shows in our education, our life expectancy, our socioeconomic inequality, and other measures.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
The right's obsession with AOC - GMDino - 02-18-2019, 06:49 PM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - CJD - 02-18-2019, 11:30 PM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - Belsnickel - 02-19-2019, 09:27 AM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - Dill - 04-03-2019, 10:53 AM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - Dill - 06-19-2019, 10:14 PM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - Dill - 06-19-2019, 10:31 PM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - Dill - 06-19-2019, 10:27 PM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - Dill - 06-20-2019, 03:54 AM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - Dill - 06-19-2019, 10:35 PM