Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCOTUS says constitutional protection against excessive fines applies to state action
(02-20-2019, 02:46 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/supreme-court-says-constitutional-protection-against-excessive-fines-applies-to-state-actions/2019/02/20/204ce0d4-3522-11e9-af5b-b51b7ff322e9_story.html?utm_term=.8bd8de47e74a

Last year was the 150th anniversary of the 14th Amendment, which was written to ensure that individuals were protected from state (and local) governments in the same manner they are the federal. Thanks to selective incorporation, it has taken this long for people to be protected by the 8th when it comes to lower-level governments.

You just beat me to it!

I think this is a great thing. 

It also leads into discussions I've had about how once a person is "in the system" the system has a way of keeping you there...usually by financial means.

Of course now they (elected officials) will have to try and find new ways to raise fess because they are afraid to raise taxes to pay for services and to balance their budget.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: SCOTUS says constitutional protection against excessive fines applies to state action - GMDino - 02-20-2019, 02:47 PM
RE: SCOTUS says constitutional - bfine32 - 02-20-2019, 07:42 PM