Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pelosi, Schumer To Trump: "Let's Debate Border Funds in Private"
(02-20-2019, 12:48 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Isn't that kind of the point?  How can this be a national emergency when 99.9% of the population isn't affected by said 'emergency'?

I'm pretty sure my tax dollars are going towards paying for said wall.  While I appreciate the hard work of our service members, I've always thought funding allocation is wasted when ~75% goes towards military spending.  Military industrial complex bloat, waste and leakage aside; I'd much rather see a larger portion of funds go towards other initiatives.

Can you imagine if Trump had merely gotten everyone all riled up about improving infrastructure or something?  Put some sort of nationalist slant on having better roads than mexico?  To be completely honest, I'm not sure I would be all that upset about a national emergency based on spending Billions repairing and upgrading our national highways.  Holly shit!  Aint that a novel idea.  Sure, there would be a lot of people that wouldn't benefit as much from better highways.  Those is very rural areas, further from a highway.  But the VAST majority WOULD benefit, and I would argue even some backwoods christian militia exclusionary types would see some lift from cheaper food/munition/sundries transportation costs down the line.  

You and others here are right when you say I and all my soft sjw eggplant-shoe wearing cuddle buddies let Trump's politics play a role in our assessment of the merits of the wall.  Ill grant you that.  But in reality, I'm skewed by the fact that this stunt is just an extension of the complete shit show his administration has been thus far.  He's the lowest form of con man, one who can only fool the most impressionable of the group.  In response to hard data on the issue, the only response he can muster is 'You have stats that are far worse than the ones I use'.  Thats some weak shit man.  If you're going to **** me, at least put a ***** suit on and take me out to drinks.  Don't just come at me like some nickle dick piss ant without preparing rhetorically whatsoever.

TLDR.  You're right.  The wall doesn't affect me.  That does not meet the bar of justification for its construction.  

So what's that say many of the politicians that say one thing but do the opposite?
Since where is it specifically stated that what the Politicians do has to directly affect you?

Preventing Illegal Immigrants from coming here frees up a lot of tax dollars for those infrastructure projects we all desire.
The wall is a small investment for a larger gain. it's much more mental than physical. If you're from Central America, and you know you can cross the US border, you will try. However if you know once you get there that there is a wall, you know that you're wasting time cause you won't have the resources to get over/under it, so you go to the proper port of entry and apply for Asylum, IF you make the trip.

And no where has anyone said that this is the perfect way to stop all illegal immigration. People just keep coming up with ideas on how to beat the system (with out considering the $$ amounts needed) rather than more ideas on how to fix the system. Trump has it right by doing away with Jus Soli, but no one is backing him. Trump tried to enforce it with an EO, but liberal courts when wild blocking him. By not allowing him to enforce Jus Soli, you leave him with no option but a wall.

If the Democrats are serious, then I'd dangle DACA out there and see how they bite (you know they won't cause they'd lose a tool for rallying voters).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pelosi, Schumer To Trump: "Let's Debate Border Funds in Private" - Mike M (the other one) - 02-20-2019, 04:04 PM