Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pelosi, Schumer To Trump: "Let's Debate Border Funds in Private"
(02-26-2019, 12:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So does that mean the the whole "It's not an emergency, but I'm saying it is in order to get what I want" emergency is null and void, or does it mean Trump just has to do something else to deny the will of the people?

(02-26-2019, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It has not been passed.  That is just what they are proposing.

Apparently some Republicans claimed they did not have time to read the proposal.

As Fred is saying, it hasn't passed yet. What is happening is the Democrats in the House want to put all of the Republicans on record with regards to the emergency declaration. The NEA allows for Congress to cancel a declared emergency, but a court case later said the POTUS has veto authority over such a resolution. Democrats know they aren't going to get a veto-proof majority in either chamber but since the majority of Americans see the wall and the declaration as unnecessary, and because it is an example of gross executive overreach that would've bunched the britches of any real conservatives under a different POTUS, they want to put these votes on record.

I can tell you right now that Democratic leadership is going to use this precedent to bypass Congress in the future. I think it's wrong, and I'm going to hate every minute of it, but I can tell you that the next time they take the White House they will use this precedent to fund universal healthcare and/or environmental policies to combat climate change. So they want these votes on record to when Republicans complain, because they will, they can point to them and call them out on it. They will be called hypocrites, but they will say they are playing by the rules set by Republicans.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pelosi, Schumer To Trump: "Let's Debate Border Funds in Private" - Belsnickel - 02-26-2019, 12:38 PM