Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mixon doesn’t want Ross to leave
(02-28-2019, 11:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I can promise you that won't happen.  Unless he tanks and becomes a huge attitude issue, he is here at least two more years.

Antonio Brown was, what, a 5th round pick and ran something like a 4.59 at the combine?  Now, he is one of the fastest in the league.  Makes very little sense.  

My bias may be because I wanted Ross so badly.  I was THRILLED to get him as a complement to AJ Green.  I looked at his as a faster Marvin Jones that could do more things, and could help take the top off the defense.  Be the Chris Henry to the Chad (AJ) and TJ (Boyd) as we had for a very brief period together...and they also had Eifert!  However, results fell well short of expectations.  It's really sad as I saw Dalton improve his improvised plays and have a great season started, but injuries and predictable offensive plays (teams adapted, Bengals had no answer) doomed them.

I am finding myself looking at the new, young, college-game minded coaches and I can't wait to see what they can do with all the weapons on offense.  Gio as a WR in some formations, or in motion, with Mixon on the field at the same time.  Ross in motion, whether faking or giving a jet sweep, LBs would have to account for it.  Bunch formations with Ross, Boyd, and Eifert on one side and AJ Green alone on the other side.  There are so many possibilities and potential for explosive offense.  I think the defense will continue to be awful unless they get two dynamic additions to the LB crew, and a DT next to Geno that can really rush the passer.  The offense, however, could be pretty fun to watch.  

I am also in the minority as I liked the Ross pick. I really thought he could be the piece to the passing game that really set it off. Him posting the video to Twitter, giving up on routes, poor route running, and the like have soured me on him. I thought he was a much better route runner in college. He said himself that he needs to just play, so maybe it's all in his head. I still have some hope, but he needs to mature as well.

I'd be incredibly happy if he could turn into a receiver that gives us 500-600 yards and 5 TDs or more a year. As long as we keep AJ and Boyd around, that kind of production would be great. I get concerned that it seems like every time he sprints, he comes up limping. I don't know how to fix that other than using him differently and not just running verticals or sweeps. I think screens could be good to give him a chance in space, but that hasn't seemed to be in the team's thought process so far.

I'd definitely like to see Mixon and Bernard on the field together a lot more. If they can fix the OLine, there is a lot of potential on the offense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mixon doesn’t want Ross to leave - muskiesfan - 02-28-2019, 11:45 AM