Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nukes--India Pakistan, China, and Global Warming
(03-04-2019, 02:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I always considered the Hindu religion pretty non-violent, but they were extremely violent in the conflicts following the partition.

I never really intended to study the history of the region, but I have read almost everything Salman Rushdie has written and many of his books have strong historical/political themes.  A good portion of The Moor's Last Sigh was devoted to the political corruption and violence following the partition.

Havent' read that. But The Satanic Verses got me interested in Indian culture and post colonial literature.  Also, in the 80s and 90s I looked a lot like Rushdie (bald head, beard, glasses). Several times Indians pointed out the unnerving resemblance.  Was never fatwa'd, though!

Actually, Hindu religion/culture is pretty diverse and multifaceted. There are strong pacifist strains, but also nationalist. The BJP keeps whipping up that nationalism by scapegoating Muslims and Marxists. They are VERY strong in Mahrashtra  and renamed Bombay "Mumbai."  There was a serious anti muslim riot there back in the '70s.  Hindus killed hundreds of Muslims.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: India Pakistan War --and China - Dill - 03-01-2019, 03:26 AM
RE: Nukes--India Pakistan, China, and Global Warming - Dill - 03-04-2019, 04:23 PM