Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling all guitar players, what is your axe of choice?
(03-04-2019, 10:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Totally agree on the versatility of the strat with the humbucker at the bridge. I've owned probably at least a half dozen strats in my life. Some knock offs, but never better than a MiM. I've never really had the scratch for an American one. At least not without my wife wanting to kill me. 

I wrote probably 75% of my songs on a red Synsonics "Pro Series" (lol) strat. It was all beat up and duct taped. I carved band names on it and put every cool sticker I could find on it. Unfortunately, it was stolen in 2005. Not sure why they took it, because it wasn't worth a penny to anyone but me.

As for the tunings, I'd say my songs are 50/50 between standard and drop D. I play so much drop D that my old bandmate used to call me that (my name is Deric). Sometimes I'll drop it down half a step if I want a darker/muddier sound. When I was in my early 20's, I used to experiment with some exotic tunings, but I eventually figured it would be better to just work within the confines of the more traditional tunings.

It didn't help that I broke some strings trying to tune to some Goo Goo Dolls stuff. LOL

Yeah, her voice is amazing and goes perfectly with the piano.

Honestly, I can barely play guitar and chew bubble gum. To write songs, I always had to record the guitar first, then come up with lyrics and melody by playing the track back on repeat. I guess that's why I can't play drums, either. I can do 2 things (say hi-hat and snare), but as soon as I try to do that 3rd thing, it's over.

Almost all of the songs from the 90s through early 2000s were tuned Eb.

Yeah the Goo Goo Dolls used some really strange tuning so he could play and sing at the same time. LOL

I quit playing electric guitar for a while and sold all of my stuff(so sick of band drama).

One day I was in a pawn shop and some guy working there said "hey try this Squier out, it's setup great".

I said what the hell, and liked it.  Bought it for $150.  Later I put in some Seymour Duncans(Screamin' Demon in the bridge and a 59 in the neck)

Now I had more invested in the pickups than the guitar!  It just felt right, and I recorded a bunch of original stuff with it.

Since then I've never looked back and keep adding pieces of gear.  Still have that Squier though.  Will probably never sell it because of what it represents.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Calling all guitar players, what is your axe of choice? - BengalsRocker - 03-04-2019, 10:50 PM