Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do we even bother with this?
(03-11-2019, 02:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I've often thought Marvin overachieved with the talent level on the roster during the regular season, but he was a bad playoff coach. To take 7 cracks at a playoff win, you'd think we'd win 1 by luck alone. But even (Andrew) Luck beat us in the playoffs.  Hilarious 

How many front offices retain a coach that's 0-7 in the playoffs and give them what 3 more seasons after that 7th loss? That there shows the front offices commitment to mediocrity.

I get so sick and tired of people acting like the Bengals going 0-7 in playoffs under Marvin was just a complete and total failure of management and coaching. How many of those 7 playoff games should the Bengals have actually won?
Pittsburgh without Carson? No way.
Houston's first home playoff game in forever with a bunch of rookies? No way.
Indianapolis, in a game where the Bengals essentially had noone but Andy Dalton left on offense? No way.
Pittsburgh without Andy Dalton his MVP year? No way. The fact that this game was even close was a miracle and a complete credit to one of the best defensive games in team history.

If you went to any of those game seriously expecting the Bengals to win, you were probably fooling yourself (and I say that as someone who absolutely convinced themselves their defense would let them hang in there in 2015). I don't see how you pin any of those losses on the front office, and the fact that they even got to that playoff game in Houston is actually a huge credit to them considering they were 2-14 the year before and built a team essentially from scratch.

Yes, they should have beat New York... but then again, they're not the only team that lost to the Jets that postseason. Yes, they should have beat San Diego... but then again, they're not the only team that lost to the Chargers that postseason, either. Yes, it sucks that the Bengals haven't won a playoff game since I was in elementary school... but it's as much a combination of bad luck and bad timing as anything else, and trying to pin it solely on management or coaching is, in at least 4 of those games, borderline ridiculous.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why do we even bother with this? - NKURyan - 03-11-2019, 03:42 PM
Why do we even bother with this? - BenZoo2 - 03-11-2019, 02:51 PM