Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uzomah, Hopkins, and Hart...Oh My!
(03-11-2019, 08:08 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: My fear is this:  If the Bengals don't make the playoffs in 2019, it all gets blown up in 2020.  Zac Taylor seems to want a year with familiar players which isn't unusual for a young coach.

A plausible theory, IMO. Give it a go with what we have, if it doesn't work, blow it up. But wouldn't it make more sense to blow it up with a new HC? 

(03-11-2019, 08:10 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It feels like Tobin is now getting to call the shots. My fear is that Taylor is going to be nothing more than a yes man.

We'll see. He did have control over the staff, it seemed...but I was expecting some roster changes. Cutting Tez and/or Glenn. Signing some new faces. Setting a tone for HIS team and HIS expectations. Doing away with the baggage of the previous regime. I believed Taylor about Dalton, I guess, but is he sold on the whole roster? That's hard to believe. That feels more like a Mike Brown continuity thing. 

(03-11-2019, 08:13 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I don't have any real issues with Uzomah's deal or Hopkin's tender, but the Hart contract was a huge WTF reaction when I saw it.

On my PO'd meter, I'd rate the Hopkins tender a 2, the Uzomah deal a 3 and the Hart deal a solid 9.  

(03-11-2019, 08:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, just to play D.A. for a moment here, I've said before that pretty much all guys that are good enough to make it to the NFL have the basic talent required to succeed.  For years we were complaining that Marvin and the coaching staff weren't doing enough to develop and use players to the maximum of their abilities.  

Perhaps, just maybe, this is one of those situations where the new HC and his staff have taken a look at the players that we have, and decided that they are fine, and that they can do a better job at getting them to play up to their potential?  While I'll admit that giving Bobby Hart second tier money is a bit of a head scratcher, (actually I'm pissed as hell about it..) but maybe they looked deeper at the film and saw enough good qualities that they believe they can coach him past the penalties and blocking technique issues?  

Well, if I'm being optimistic, the Rams didn't exactly make sweeping changes when McVay was hired.

That said, he did hire an experienced DC (Wade Phillips) and signed a couple linemen, including a big contract to Whitworth.

We brought in Anarumo and paid Bobby Hart. Ok, I'm not good at this optimism thing. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Uzomah, Hopkins, and Hart...Oh My! - Shake n Blake - 03-11-2019, 08:56 PM