Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White Supremecists Slay 49 in NZ Mosques
(03-15-2019, 05:46 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: Ahh yes. The old "But Nazi's killed a lot of people 80 years ago" argument. Lets be honest here Dill. How relevant is Nazi Germany to the argument of how dangerous white supremacy is today vs Islamic extremism? I find it odd that people always run back to Nazi Germany to support their arguments against white supremacy today. Well, actually I don't because it's convenient for them to go back and talk about how many people died to white supremacy 80 years ago vs the amount of people dying to white supremacy today. 

Answer me this Dill. Are the amount of people who have died from the actions of white supremacists in the last 5 years greater than the amount of people who have died to the actions of Islamic extremists in the last 5 years?

Lets be clear that today's white supremacists do "run back to Nazi Germany to support their arguments [for] white supremacy today."  That is why it remains in the conversation after 80 years. Because its ideological foundations have been kept alive and are currently finding new life In Europe and the  Anglophone world, today's white supremacists find it convenient to go back and talk about how Hitler managed racial undesirables and fought for Western Civilization.

Since there are currently wars in the Levant, Subsaharan Africa, and Central Asia which pit Islamic extremists against other Islamic extremists and various state actors, I would say, globally, more have died from Islamists in the last five years.  Though Islamists in Niger may not be a current threat to the U.S. or NZ.

But I don't see that as a good ground for dismissing the rise of white supremacy, especially given increasing tendency world wide for liberal democracies to fall into illiberal, or outright authoritarian regimes, frequently repeating Nazi-style arguments for national or racial purity, denigrating the free press, and undermining their judiciary.

If we are speaking of the US, do you see grounds for fearing Islamists more than White supremacists?  Do you see any ground for Muslims and Jews having greater fear of the latter than non-muslims and non-Jews?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: White Supremecists Slay 49 in NZ Mosques - Dill - 03-15-2019, 10:56 PM