Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Republicans vote against anti-bigotry resolution.
(03-18-2019, 11:40 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This was, essentially, the exact same thing that the House did in regards to Steve King after he asked what was so bad about White Supremacy.

The resolution did not name King, but generally condemned white nationalism.

Only one person voted against it (it wasn't King). A democrat named Bobby Rush from Illinois. He wanted a formal censure of King, so he voted against this as a way of saying it wasn't harsh enough.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-congress-king/u-s-house-including-steve-king-votes-to-condemn-his-racist-statements-idUSKCN1P92RB

Careful my friend, you're ruining the narrative of some here that the GOP members who voted against this resolution were doing so because they love them some bigotry.

Quote:Of course, this is all political theater, as no one would openly say "nah, I think white nationalism or antisemitism is totally cool" even if they, for whatever reason, did not believe what they were saying.

Precisely.  I baffles me that this even has to be explained.

Quote:So, the people voting against these resolutions were doing so in protest to the severity of the resolution rather than the resolution itself.

Once again, 100% correct.

Quote:I do think Republicans are less concerned with being accused of being racist though, as that is not one of their main talking points (and some would argue being accused of being racist only makes them more popular with their "anti-PC" supporters), so more Republicans were willing to protest vote this one, whereas only 1 democrat was willing to protest vote the King resolution.
Being labeled a racist as a Democrat is a bit more dangerous.

This is largely due to the fact that the far left casually hurls accusations of racism with disturbing frequency and regularity.  The word has almost totally lost its impact, if it hasn't done so entirely.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some Republicans vote against anti-bigotry resolution. - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-18-2019, 11:55 AM